I am a freelance writer and editor.
One of my current clients is Issue Media Group publications. I write and edit Southwest Michigan's Second Wave for them.
My writing career began in 1978 at the Spinal Column Newsweekly. It's been on the rise since then.
As editor of Southwest Michigan’s Second Wave my responsibilities are to:
• Assign, write and edit stories of regional business interest. Update social media. Work with CMS weekly.
For 25 years I was employed, primarily as an editor, at the Kalamazoo Gazette where I:
• Coordinated projects related to local arts events and festivals, including publication of 16-page special section with coverage of 29 performing artists, in conjunction with the 2004 Irving S. Gilmore International Keyboard Festival.
• Collaborated with advertising department to build and sustain dining and entertainment pages for regional publication in 2008.
• Hired correspondents to report on communities in areas previously under-covered.
• Led a staff of correspondents, photographers and page designers to develop story content and graphic elements. Coordinated and monitored the design and content at all stages of the process.
• Motivated and directed a team of approximately 15 freelance correspondents. Ascertained staffing needs were met, including recruitment and training. Matched correspondents’ skills with assignments.
• Developed story ideas, assigned stories, edited copy.
Two of my volunteer initiatives are:
• Mentor: Kalamazoo Area Academic Achievement Program, 7 years.
• Board Member: Kalamazoo Friends of Poetry, 5 years.
All the photographs on this site were taken by me.